《爱是妥协》(Something''s Got-ta Give)是一部美国轻喜剧电影。事业、女朋如日中天的老年花花公子杰克·尼科尔森在美艳的女友家养病时意外爱上了女友的母亲,与此同时,一名年轻医生基努李维斯也爱上了这位比他年长20多岁几乎可以做他母亲的妇人,成为老年花花公子的情敌。这段忘年三角恋,谁人可雇赢得芳心?
MARIN:So, Mom, how''s the new play? Are you getting happy with it?
玛琳:喂,妈,你的新戏怎么样了?你觉得还开心吗?
ERICA:Well, you know the thing about me. I''m 90% hard work, 10% talent and so far the talent part hasn''t exactly kicked in yet.
艾丽卡:嗯,你知道我这人。我是90%的努力,10%的天分。不过到目前为止,天分的那部分还没有开窍呢。
HARRY: What''s your play about?
哈里:你的戏是讲什么的?
ERICA:Well, it''s about a divorced woman, a writer, she''s a highly strung, over-amped, controlling, know-it-all neurotic. . .Who''s incredibly cute and lov-able. It''s a comedy. Ever been married, Harry?
艾丽卡:嗯,是讲一个离婚妇女的。她是个作家,是个紧张兮兮,吵吵嚷嚷,指手画脚,自以为是的神经质……她挺聪明挺可爱的。这是出喜剧。哈里,你结过婚吗?
HARRY:No. No, I haven''t.
哈里:不,不,我没结过。
ERICA:Wow. Now why do you think that is?
艾丽卡:喔,你觉得为什么会这样呢?
HARRY:Some people just don''t fit the mold. And so far, you know...
哈里:有些人就是不适合那个框子吧,而且到目前为止,你知道啦……
ERICA:Hey, if it ain''t broke.
艾丽卡:嘿,只要那框子不是破的就行啦。
HARRY:You know what? I hate to eat and run but...
哈里:你看啊,我其实挺不想吃完了抹嘴就走的,不过……
Harry: Erica, you are a woman to love.
哈利:艾丽克,你是一个值得去爱的女人。
Julian Mercer: You really are a very sexy woman.
朱莉·默塞:你真的是一个很性感的女人。
Erica Barry: No, really, swear to God, I'm NOT.
艾丽克·巴瑞:不,真的,对天发誓,我不是。
Harry: I just have one question: What's with the turtlenecks? I mean it's the middle of summer.
哈利:我只是有一个问题:穿着这些套领毛衣干什么?我是说这时候正是夏天。
Erica: Well I guess I'm just a turtleneck kind of gal.
艾丽克:好吧我猜我只是有一件大约一加仑的套领毛衣。
Harry: You never get hot?
哈利:你从不觉得热?
Erica: No.
艾丽克:不。
Harry: Never?
哈利:从不?
Erica: Not lately.
艾丽克:这段时间还没有。
Harry: I've never seen a woman that age naked before.
哈利:我从前从没有看过那个年纪的女人裸体。
Harry: Schmucks are people too.
哈利:笨人也是人。
Julian Mercer: Must we go through this every time? Come here.
朱莉·默塞:每一次我们都要穿过这里吗?来这儿。